Friday, July 2, 2010

New InfoPath Functionality

I am a HUGE fan of InfoPath. I was just getting into the more advanced functionality of 2007 IP and then 2010 came and it was all over. I was not that enthused with some of the changes, since I was so used to where things were in 2007. However, I got over that disappointment quite quickly when I found some stuff that will make your end users go ga-ga.

Like the new Picture Button functionality that allows you to create hover-over effects on your buttons. And easy copy-pasting of rules from one control to another. This stuff really rocks. I have some developer friends who would disagree, since they say some of the coding has gotten more difficult. I can't comment on that. All I can say is, when you can automatically post your InfoPath form into a web page using an InfoPath Form Web Part, or when you can create rating buttons that allow your users to add ratings using star graphics, your forms can really sing and you will get more user buy-in. And isn't that what it is all about?

Check out my favorite video from the InfoPath Team Blog that details (in 5 minutes) (yes, that is FIVE minutes) how to use rating stars instead of option buttons for survey forms. 


They have a series of these that are all around 5 minutes, that are super easy to create and will make your forms look awesome.

As I get deeper into the functionality, I hope to post some of my findings. If you have a specific idea for things to try using the new functionality, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment